Friday, January 7, 2011

Finally, belt grinder is nearing completion!

At Last!
Today I managed to assemble my belt grinder. It still needs a few hours tweaking and adjusting things, but on the first test run it worked like a charm. After a forge, hammer and anvil, a belt sander is THE most useful tool in the shop.
For people who do not know, it does not look like much, a couple of pulleys with a belt... 
Let me tell you, this has been the MOST time consuming machine to build, and I still have before me the tricky part of micro-adjusting it.

Details: 2hp 900 rpm 3 phase motor, 1 phase to 3 phase inverter with adjustable speed, 155cm belt, 20cm rubber contact wheel, machined aluminum crowned pulley with a scrap Subaru ball bearing.

Cost, approximately 700 Euros: 150 for the motor, 150 for the inverter, 70 for the contact wheel, 200 machining, 50 for the electric installation, and another 80 for odds and ends.


The design I went with after looking at tons of different designs on the net (http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCKnifeMakingGrinders.htm)
was a simplified version on one I found on an excellent set of youtube videos:


and 

No comments:

Post a Comment