Sunday, January 30, 2011

Silver-shibuichi mokume gane.

Here is another mokume gane post; yes this is still a sword smithing blog, but mokume gane seems to be the thing that will be paying the bills in the future, so I have to develop it. 
Here is a really good example of a silver, shibuichi, shakudo seamless ring (I did not make it), that shows the nice patination colors one can achieve with these alloys. For anyone interested, you can buy this ring at 


I cast some 25% shibuichi the other day, and had it drawn out to 0.5 mm sheet, and went ahead and bought some 0.5 mm silver sheet as well, so I should be able to try my hand at some silver-shibuichi mokume.
Also ordered some Balwin's patina from reactivemetals.com.


Shibuichi crucible in the forge.

Shibuichi casting setup.

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested in getting a piece of mokume like the above pattern. 3 inches by 1/2 inch anything from 16 to 22 GA. Can you provide this? reply; brody@brodydesigns.com

    ReplyDelete